Saturday 24 March 2007

About Me and St Brides Wentlooge Village



Well here I am once again and as I’ve already said I’ll tell you a bit about my family and myself.

I live in this lovely village called Lighthouse Park Estate in St Brides Wentlooge, Newport. The Lighthouse Park (as I'll write in future) is about a mile from the main St Brides Village. I live in a lovely mobile unit with my husband and we love it here – have I said that before !!

We’ve got four grown up children and ten grandchildren with ages ranging from 3 to 19 yrs. I actually become a pensioner or should I say Senior Citizen at the end of June, what a thought!!

My sister Cathie who owns Chapel Guest House with her husband Dave has just reminded me that I get a free ‘bus pass’ from the local council. I’ll get her back when I write about her Guest House which is in the main part of St Brides so not too far. Why not visit Chapel Guest House Blog.

Lighthouse Park itself is a community of about 150 mobile homes and to live on this site you must be over 50 yrs. We like the fact that there are no children running wild and making a noise and when children visit their families here, they do respect the lifestyle that we all have and so keep the noise down. It’s very peaceful here and the only sound are the birds whistling and a few cars and the bell from Rons’ daily call.

Ron has an Ice Cream van and calls daily with his son Phillip (Woody as he likes to be called) and it’s very useful if you’ve forgotten any items from the weekly shopping. You’ve never seen a van have so many items in stock; we often wonder where they keep everything. I can remember one day asking Ron if he had a tube of tomato puree and to my amazement he pulled one out from under the counter, what a surprise for me!! We should call him Dr. Who as it’s a bit like a Tardis. You can even order your Sunday joint from him and he will deliver this on a Friday.

To keep up young and active, one of the residents here organises day trips for us, which are great fun, and it’s another way we spend our time and get to know one another. We do enjoy our trips as it gets us out and about. Sometimes it’s a bus trip just for the day and sometimes they’re weekend trips. The Christmas one is called, Tinsel and Turkey and a great time is had by all.

So you’ve heard a little bit about me and the Lighthouse Park. For a small village, there’s quite a lot to do here and in the nearby areas, so there’ll be lots more to write about in the St Brides Village blog.

Next post will be about the local pubs so come back soon ……

2 comments:

Trevor said...

Hi Anne, I entirely agree with you, Lighthouse Park is a great place to live, we have been here for slightly over 2.5 years now and never regreted moving here. Only thing I will say is I hate the muddy roads when it is wet from all those 8 wheeled lorries speeding through Lighthouse road. They are a menace and i think dangerous! Keep up the good work.
PS. We had a friend recently stay at Chapel House Guest house and thoroughly enjoyed the stay.

Mike O'Rourke said...

Hello
Do you know if there is still a plaque of Lyn Harding in the village school? It was the work of my grandfather in 1938 and if it is still there, I'd love to see it or get a photo of it. I live in Cheshire so I wouldn't want to go all that way to find it isn't there!
Mike O'Rourke
mike@o-rourke.org